Thursday, March 3, 2011

Live free on your birthday....

It's your birthday.  All you get these days is another candle on the cake....another card with pictures of senior citizens on the front mocking your old age.  "Ha ha ha - you're so old!" they all say.  You hope people won't remember (including yourself) so you can claim you are three years younger than you really are.  But.....today I bring you some birthday cheer and hope.  Something to look forward to every year - free stuff!

I first discovered these loads of free things last year.  Not on purpose, purely coincident.  I was signed up for way too many websites mailing lists, but this time, I actually welcomed their emails with open arms, because they were offering me things for free.  Below is a list of places which will shower you with love on your birthday:

Aveda
The Swag: you will receive a coupon for a free "Personal Blends™ Pure-Fume™ or body care product offer (worth up to $24) custom blended with the aroma of your choice"
Verdict: awesome.  I brought my coupon in, smelled all these different scents, chose my favorites and they mixed up a small spritzer of perfume just for moi.  Granted I smelled too many scents at once and threw off my sense of smell, so for all I know I might be walking around smelling like a bottle of vodka mixed with patchouli.
How: s
ign up for their mailing list at avedabday.com




Kona Grill
The Swag
: you will receive a coupon via email for a free entrée worth up to $20!
Verdict: well....let me ask you - do you like food?  I do, and I very much enjoyed this.  Kona Grill specializes in sushi, but when I went I had the Sweet-Chili Glazed Salmon, and only paid $0.75 (plus tax and tip of course)

How: become a Konavore

Noodles and Company
The Swag: well, they are noodles and company, so they give you what they can, and that is.....free noodles!
Verdict: again, can you go wrong with free food?
How: this one is going to take a little advanced planning on your part, because you need to sign up at least 60 days before your birthday.  You can do so from their website here.

Sephora (did I just hear angels singing?)
The SwagSephora Collection Beautiful Eyes Kit featuring: Lash Plumper Volumizing Mascara in Black, Nano Eyeliner in Silver Green and Colorful Mono Eyeshadow in Aspen Summit
UPDATE: the above gift was last years gift, this year I received a 6 oz bottle of Vanilla Birthday Cake shampoo, shower gel and bubble bath from Philosophy!
Verdict: used all three and am now a devote follower of the lash plumper volumizing mascara - the stuff just doesn't run.  The eyeliner and eyeshadow I could live without, but to each his own...plus it's free!  UPDATE: the shampoo works just fine - it's not too sweetly scented, the bubble bath doesn't really bubble, but I can live with that.
How: become a Beauty Insider


Yummmmm!  This bottle is many things, but edible it is not. 
And for the locals in the Twin Cities area......
Pazzaluna
The Swag
: how old are you turning?  Here you get a bottle of wine priced at your age, so the older you are, the better the bottle.  
Verdict: don't know yet, but will let you know after I go for my upcoming birthday this week!
How: purchase of two entrées required and proof of age.  


Downtowner Car Wash
The Swag
: free gold wash - a $21.99 value!
Verdict: well my car is sparkling like a rich man's fine china collection and they did the inside too!
How: one week before or after your birthday, march yourself down there with this coupon



And there you have it - free gifts you can look forward to on your birthday that will have you eating well, drinking well and looking fabulous.   

No comments:

Post a Comment