Sunday, July 8, 2012

Saint Paul Sunday Bike Ride...

Our ride started in downtown Saint Paul with my bike tires losing air and the air hose missing from the gas station.  We came to the conclusion that I would just have to pedal harder and deal with it.  The fresh air kept my pedaling complaints to a minimum and any whining that leaked out was carried away by the wind.

We then decided to ride up a hill for some reason, which led us past the light rail construction.  


The light rail construction runs straight past our apartment, where the the sound of drilling, plowing and hammering is alive and well.  This section of track, by the government buildings (ahem), appears to be complete.  Such a vision had me wondering how I'd sleep without a jackhammer pounding away outside my window.  I guess I have a rough transition period ahead.  

We rode on, past the capital and on toward the Cathedral of Saint Paul.  

This picture begs the question: is the subject of the photo trees, or the capital?
On our way to the Cathedral, we were rewarded with a hill.
At the Cathedral, we turned right and made our way down Selby Ave, home to some of our favorite restaurants like Fabulous Ferns, Moscow on the Hill (great patio out back) and W.A Frost, a place we've never been, but have heard many good things about.

Biking on Selby is a little rough, because there isn't a designated bike lane, so after awhile we decided to cut across to the lovely Summit Ave.  We rode past mansions and wondered who lived in them.  So fancy was this street that we began to question our casual-cool apparel.  It was decided that we did not look cool at all.  Then I took some pictures and hoped the homeowners wouldn't come outside and yell at me.  

So gorgeous 
Our ride along Summit concluded at the James J. Hill house, which I would very much like to tour someday soon.

Finally, we rode downhill toward the city.  




No comments:

Post a Comment