Sunday, September 16, 2012

St Paul Flavor

Somehow I got caught Running from the Mundane and ended up moving all the way to California!  My impending departure from Minnesota came quickly and as a very lucky girl I have a tall, handsome boyfriend who let me pick anywhere to go my last night in the cities.  Having not been to many fancy restaurants, I had a lot of options to choose from between Minneapolis and St Paul.  My heart has a soft spot for St Paul so I narrowed down my choices to: The Strip Club, Heartland, and Meritage.  Since I don't get the chance to eat seafood often, I leaned toward Meritage which is a French Restaurant and Oyster Bar.  After scoping the menu I found out that Wednesday the special is a crab and shrimp risotto-- Sold!

Forepaugh's
Before heading for dinner at Meritage, my gentleman caller and I decided to go to Forepaugh's in St Paul for happy hour.  This is a lovely old and historic house which we got to explore before settling on a couple drinks and an appetizer of Poutine!  If you've never had this delicious treat (like I hadn't), I highly recommend it.  Although, you may be spoiled getting it here.  Here's the description from the menu: House-cut French fries, Eichten Farm white cheddar cheese curds, spicy pickled chilies, chili glaze, beef gravy.  YUM. 
Even though Forepaugh's is fancy and upscale, you can still get great prices at happy hour (like $4 for my huge glass of wine)!  We thought it was fun and a unique atmosphere to enjoy food and drinks.  Next we headed to Meritage.  I couldn't get by without ordering the oysters (which they are actually known nation-wide for) so I ordered one from the west coast and one from the east at the suggestion of our waiter.  After he gave them over he said, "Ok, just take 'em down when you're ready!"  Take them down?  What was this, some kind of shot?  Actually, yes.  I took it very much like a shot but made sure to get some good tastes of it as it was going down.  It has a very nice fresh ocean flavor and I actually really liked it!  I did however have a lot of vinegar and lemon on it. 
My boyfriend had the Minnesota pork chop with a potatoes and a good sauce.  He's not as adventurous when it comes to food.  I had to change his mind from ordering the chicken! 

At home, we enjoyed a delicious dessert of chocolate covered s'more and sea salt carmels from Candyland thanks to my sister!  Overall, a memorable night in St Paul thanks to a great guy and a great city. 



No comments:

Post a Comment