Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Make it Work

I've been asked (or maybe I asked...) to make my sister's wedding dress for her early March nuptials. Before you start envisioning me drowning in white tulle and slaving with needle and thread while hand-beading late into the night, don't. While I appreciate any sympathy this image may create, I must tell you the facts.


First, the dress will be short. It will not include yards of tulle, lace or a bustle. In fact, the only fabric purchased is 2 yards of beautiful light dusty rose 100% silk and 1.5 of a matching crepe pictured on right.

The inspiration comes from Grecian style draped looks, as seen below.




And so, I got to work, using a skirt pattern as guidance. I love the draping effect that pleating both the top and sides of the skirt creates. Also, you gotta love that it has pockets!




After consulting my sister and mom, we decided the skirt needs to be fuller with more of a bubble style on the bottom. Also, please disregard the pepto bismol pink-- this is only a draft! I am still contemplating where the zipper will go but I think it will be on the side and I will change the back skirt so there isn't a seam down the middle. Next step is draping the one shoulder crepe over the bodice which will be completely covered. Then, it's back to the skirt for a complete redo. I'm hoping to have the draft done in a couple weeks and start on the real thing in January. Thoughts, opinions, and suggestions are always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment